Monday, February 04, 2013

In which I turn Eighteen // Personal



"After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."  L.M. Montgomery, that wonderful woman, Anne of Avonlea.

On Friday, I turned 18.  And in an odd way, I do feel different.  I'm not quite sure how to say it yet, but I think that I do, which is weird, because usually birthdays pass with pomp, but not many changes, other than the number you tell people. It was a simple day, I had brunch with my mom and dad, and the little boy we babysit, at Luciles, a cajun cafe.  My siblings went to their co-op for school that day, and when they came home my mommy made panini sandwiches with pesto and balsamic glazed red onion and red peppers, and havarti, and salami and turkey on yummy pugliese bread.  My mom made chocolate on chocolate macarons for my dessert.  I received all sorts of yummy foods, and loving, but we did not make any crazy "ahh you're an adult now," plans.  After dinner we just sat on the couch all cuddled up, and talked, and I got a couple phone calls from dear friends wishing me a happy birthday.  It was a really nice day, and I think that those are the best kinds.
There are so many things to look forward to, life is a very grand experience.

Happy Monday.

11 comments:

  1. life is a very grand experience. yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, loved this. happy birthday, friend! you're such a talented and beautiful young lady, with a strong heart for the Lord. i know you'll go far. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote from Anne of Avonlea. Happy birthday to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote is one of my favorites, as Anne is one of my favorite fictional characters. <3 LOVElove this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 18th, lovely Lillian. Life's got plans for you. For now, the best days can be sinfully sweet with just the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about birthdays... "usually birthday's pass with pomp, but not many changes, other than the number you tell people." I do feel different though now that I turned eighteen. It's an interesting feeling. :)) Sounds like you had a wonderful day. And I love that quote from L.M. Montgomery. She's such a talented writer.

    Blessings!

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was beautiful. happy birthday, lillian!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lillian! I forgot to tell you happy birthday on your actual birthday so please forgive me for my belated wishes! I hope it was wonderful -- it sounds like it was -- and I hope this next year of your life is full of crazy amazing experiences and also those nice quiet days filled with simple pleasures. Those macarons look delicious. I'll have to go watch your video now. :) Happy birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, to one of the most fabulous young ladies I am privileged to know. Macaroons, yum! Such good fortune in your choice of mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love you so much, lillian! happiest of birthdays to you! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think, I appreciate all your words!