Thursday, February 07, 2013

Essential // Personal



Things that say a lot about a person.  What things are essential to them? Do they have anything interesting in their bag?  Do they have a lot of things, or just money?  I don't know, I just think it's cool.  I'm definitely the person who wants all of the "essentials" in her purse, but i pare it down as much as i can and organize it a lot.

i.  the bag.  I got my bag from goodwill.  It was probably like six dollars, and it's kind of oddly colored on the side, but I like the shape and how slouchy it is.  I tied a little scarf around the strap.  It's a bit of a security blanket for me.  I feel much better if I know I have all the things i "need" with me, and can hold the cross-body strap in my hands.

ii.  ipod.  it's a little bit pathetic how essential this is to me.  I have it with me pretty much always.  I could probably do without it more often, and that would be a good thing.

iii.  notebook.  just got a new notebook.  I fill them up quickly with lists, poems, words, journal entries, information i need to remember, reminders, doodles, sketches, letters, and sometimes even gum i don't want anymore folded on the last page.

iv.  pens.  many pens. all sorts of pens.  pencils.  I took out a complete handful of other pens for the picture, I usually add to the pens in my purse over the week, and eventually take them out, and start all over. I like different pens for different things, and my handwriting changes a lot with different pens.

v.  wallet.  i have lots of member/gift/hotel key cards and sometimes cash if i don't spend it all on food.  but i keep my change in a jar on my desk for adventures.  i got this wallet from a "souvenir barn" in northern Michigan last summer.  i like the colors.

vi.  chapsticks.  lipsticks.  mascara.  sweets.  cough drops.  hair clippies.  more chapstick.  fingernail clippers.  key chain game.  rings.  i keep them all in various little pockets so i don't have to fish around for them.

vii.  camera.  always.  I carry it around with me separately slung over my shoulder, but it still counts as "in my bag".  I bring it everywhere, always taking pictures.  I really like it a lot.


21 comments:

  1. You have such cute style, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand a cluttered bag, but I do always have to have a book in my bag, in case I get bored. I also like a little bit of lipgloss, because my lips get chapped easily. But that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a book in my gag right now, but I don't always. :)

      Delete
  3. i kind of like cluttered bags. empty ones just aren't fun, nor does your bag feel full. oh and i keep duct tape in my bag. yes, tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how you carry your journal around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got that bag from goodwill? Score! It is pretty awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bag is so adorable I just can't stand it, and from Goodwill?! Major score. The scarf also adds something special. Your ipod case is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love your bag! And your chapstick + lipstick... I'm the same way, I have like fifty billion every where. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh. i love your bag. <3 i'm always on the lookout for cute purses when i'm at goodwill. also, the contents of your purse are much like mine - journal, wallet, chapsticks + lip glosses, mp3 player + camera (always) and miscellaneous ecteteras. lovely post. xx

    ( the alcove )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. :) And I'm glad that I'm not the only one that carries a variety of writing utensils around. I have colored pencils, pens, gel pens, and highlighters on me at all times. And yes, I need them all. *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this post. i still haven't gotten into 'wearing' a purse constantly. i have one that i'll take with me if i'm going to be gone all day. but thats rare. i just put my iphone in my jean pockets and some money if i need it in another along with chapstick. someday when i grow up i will haha.

    oh and how did you get your handwriting on these pictures? its amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. love how this tells a story.
    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds exactly like me, lillian. :)
    I love how you used handwritten+arrows on the pictures. I don't know why, this just makes me super happy. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is such a pretty post. i can totally relate to iPod dependency. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hah! i can totally relate to this -- i'm such a hoarder when it comes to things in my purse. i like feeling like i'm in control, that i have everything i need, that i'm not going have any lack. i bought a smaller over-the-shoulder purse back in january, and so now i have to be more organized and picky when it comes to things i keep in my purse. my essentials? chapstick. always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If someone were to order me to choose only my bare essentials, I'd go with a journal or two, some good pens, at LEAST one book and the ever-faithful clunky camera strung around my neck.

    Love this entire post - your bag is too fab. Love the fonts used in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love that bag. and I'm glad I'm not the only one who carries a half-dozen various lip products in her bag... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what lovely objects, and beautiful post by the way.
    lm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think, I appreciate all your words!