Saturday, December 08, 2012

What those pages will hold



Every once in a while I will go through my stack of notebooks.  I'll read over my notes, lists, stories, poems, the sketches, the things from friends, the lyrics, quotes, doodles.  With each page, I remember the things I felt when I wrote them, or the place I was when I doodled.  When it comes to things past, notebooks bring memories of happy times, but no matter what, things are always different now than that time.  And sometimes that is sad.

I look through my notebooks, noticing large gaps where I didn't write because I was too happy, and then one little sentence explaining.  Or several pages filled with hurt or angry or sad words, remembering the cramp my hand got after the pages of writing through tears.

I never used to be able to keep a journal, I'm actually pretty terrible at it, when I was in seventh grade, I had to keep a certain number of journal entries a week, and every night before I had to turn them in I would scribble down everything that came to my 13 year old mind, and my teacher thought I was a goof because I was so random.

But I always wished I could be one of those people who could write down journal entries every night.  And while I'm not consistent enough, I have filled these identical seven notebooks in the past two-ish years, and I'll continue.  I like the spiral bound, and a fine point sharpie, or similar pen.

Nowadays, I take notes in sermons, write down lists, keep track of college info, and occasionally pages full of emotions.  But I'm still not "good" at having a notebook.

And while some of the things I read over that have happened to me in these past couple years make me sad (as I never seem to calm myself down enough to write entries of happy things), I can see all the random lists, occasional sentences, and scattered doodles of happy times.

And there are blank pages yet, and it's exciting, because there are a lot of blank pages to fill.  And I think that's a very nice thought.

Do you keep a journal?

12 comments:

  1. love this. I actually just got a nice journal. I had been wanting to start but I wasn't really sure if I could do it or not. now that I have started though i'm enjoying it SO much! I really wanted to have a place to write where I could look back when I wrote about the happy days, sad days, hilarious days, and adventures. I can't wait to start to journal more:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty and how your journal-keeping is special and unique to you! I do keep a journal knad have for quite awhile-- not as consistently as I'd like, but still. =) I'm learning that my entries don't have to be perfect or organized or consistent, because life is none of these things. I want my journal entries to express my life, my heart, my soul, and my journey for all those things to become more and more a reflection of Christ. And of course, there's the occasional doodle and bit of typography. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I've kept a journal off and on since I was ten. Just recently tho I've started it up again but not just recording the days events. I write in it when I'm inspired not 'cause I have to. I write little poems, long rants, lists, doodles glue in scraps of newspaper that I like, song lyrics, just lots of little things that express what I'm feeling. I also keep a journal of letters to an unknown person, that's more of a record of what I've done but I write about frustrations and dreams and my prayer lists too.
    I can't wait until my one journal is full because I want to get an unlined one next, they're so much better for doodling. Thanks for sharing this. It was beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, your handwriting is GORGEOUS.
    Yes, yes I journal. I have everyday for almost a year and a half now! It's crazy to look back on..


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. whew. girl. your handwriting. that is all. & to answer your question: no, but this year i'm going to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i absolutely love journaling, although i haven't in awhile. also, i especially love looking at the pages of others' jounals -- it's like gaining a sneak peek at their soul. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9.12.12

    Yes I do! I have a sketchbook & a diary & papers filled with notes, quotes, poems, doodles that I never seem to archive properly.
    I'm still not "good" at having a notebook either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are incredibly beautiful.
    I've been keeping a journal pretty regular since I was about eleven...every once in a while I go back and peruse them, and I'm so thankful for everything I recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so very lovely. i've been journaling on and off for a few years and i would really like to get back to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah, why must I feel so cliche, but goodness this gives me so many feels because I'm the same way and have a trunk full of notebooks of my random pre-teen thoughts and I'm still not good at journaling but I do try my best.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always keep daily journal entries - but recently, I've been really inspired to not just be limited to my own words. Or just words in general. These things are really pretty, Lil. You make me want to start doodling when I really should be finishing homework :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh Lillian I love this. You have beautiful penmanship and I love your doodles. I wish I could do that! I try to keep a journal but sometimes it just seems to take more time than I have. Maybe someday I'll be able to do it regularly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think, I appreciate all your words!